We are proud to announce that our 2020 Pantomime will be Treasure Island! We had a launch night on Wednesday 3rd July, and we wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that joined us, it was great to see a lot of new faces as well as our existing members! We’ve added a summary of the information below for you all. If you have any questions at all, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
Our auditions and read through night will take place on Wednesday 11th September at Kirklands Community Centre. The times and show dates are on the poster below.
We start our story in The Admiral Benbow, the pub run by Mrs Hawkins and Jim. We’re introduced to a number of characters, and set the ball rolling for a trip to Treasure Island. The Squire comes in for a nibble and Jim and Jenny meet. We then move over to Pirate’s Cove where Long John Silver and his gang of pirates are plotting to steal the treasure map. They learn that the map is being taken to the Squire who is judging a WI baking competition, so they decide to join the Smuggler’s Cove Women’s Institute at their meeting to try and steal it back.
They fail miserably (and messily), but the squire agrees to the trip to Treasure Island, and while Jim and Jenny confess their love for each other outside Squire Trelawney’s house, Polly overhears the plan. Long John Silver then convinces the Squire to let him find the crew for the trip. The next day at Bristol docks, the WI are press ganged into joining the crew and the journey begins!
By the time Act 2 begins, we’re aboard the Hispaniola and we’ve just arrived at Treasure Island. The pirates then mutiny and take Mrs Hawkins, the Squire, Jim and Jenny (the goodies) captive. Eventually the map is found, but just as they’re about to cast the goodies away in a boat, a hurricane strikes and everyone is swept overboard. Later on, somewhere on Treasure Island, we meet up with the Pirates who are looking for Polly who flew off in a huff earlier. They eventually find her, and then the WI Pirates join them. They go off in search of the treasure, and we discover the goodies have made it safe and sound as well.
Shortly after, X marks the spot and we meet Ben who was marooned three years ago. We find out he moved the treasure to the haunted grotto at Deadman’s Cave for safe keeping, and the pirates go on the hunt. Meanwhile the goodies have found the cave and battle with the ghosts to get the treasure. They’re discovered by the Pirates and a good old shoot out (with water guns) leaves the goodies in trouble again. While loading the ship with treasure at the Lagoon, the WI pirates get fed up of the real pirates trying to maroon the goodies again, and seize the day (and the treasure). We end the show, with a proposal, a sing song and a wedding!
List of characters
- MRS HAWKINS (MUM) Jim’s Mum. Warm hearted, rumbustious Dame.
- KITTIE. A maid. (Scene 1 only)
- JIM HAWKINS. Principal Boy.
- SQUIRE TRELAWNEY. A bit dim.
- JENNY TRELAWNEY. The Squire’s daughter. Principal Girl.
- SEADOG SAM. A pirate.
- SEAWEED WILLY. A nice pirate.
- BILLY BONES. (Scene 1 only)
- LONG JOHN SILVER. Pirate Leader and Villain of the Piece.
- BLOOD BOILER. A ferocious pirate.
- GIZZARD SLITTER. A very ferocious pirate.
- The FRIDGE. A very big ferocious pirate.
- POLLY. A parrot in her 70’s.
- MRS HENDERSON. Chair of the Smuggler’s Cove WI.
- WI Members with scripted lines.
- MRS BATTERSBY
- MRS SNOOK
- MRS CARTER-BROWN
- MRS TUBBMRS DODD
- MRS PARKER. Vice Chair of the Smuggler’s Cove WI.
- MISS NORMINGTON. (DORIS) Senior and independently minded WI Member
- BEN GUNN. Shipwrecked Ship’s Photographer.
- CAPTAIN BLOODHEART. (Non speaking role, Scene 9 only)
- CHORUS as Pub Customers, Pirates, WI Members, Ghosts etc.
For the list of characters above, any gender can play any of the parts listed so if you fancy a particular character, please let me know. Also some have more lines than others, so if you wanted a smaller part (or no lines at all) please let me know as well.
Here are the songs we have in the panto along with who will be singing them.
- I’ve got a feeling – Mum, Jim, Billy, Customers
- We Found Love – Jim and Jenny
- The Drinking Song – Customers and Jim
- Jerusalem / Wannabee – WI
- Jerusalem/Salute – Pirate WI
- Thinking Out Loud – Jim and Jenny
- Evil Like Me – Long John and Polly
- In The Navy – Mum, Jim, Jenny, Squire, Pirates, WI Pirates
- Sailors Hornpipe – Mum, Jim, Jenny, Squire, Pirates, WI Pirates
- When you’re a professional pirate – Pirates, WI Pirates
- If I knew you were coming I’d have baked a cake – WI Pirates, Mum, Squire (maybe Jim and Jenny)
- Ain’t no stopping us now – Mum, Squire, Jim, and Jenny
- From now on – Company
- Things that go bump in the night – Mum, Squire, Jim, Jenny and ghosts
- Pirates life for me – WI Pirates
- Don’t stop believing – Company
- Over the Irish sea – Mum, Sam and Willy
- Place where we belong – Company
If you’d like to read the script, please email us and we’ll send you a copy. We will be making further amends to the script between now and September so at the first rehearsal in October we will provide you all with a printed script.
Rehearsal dates and location
Rehearsals will take place on Monday and Wednesday nights 6/6:30 – 7:30/8 for kids, 7:30 – 9:30 for adults, starting on Wednesday 2nd October. This year we will be based at Kirklands Community Centre for rehearsals. After the cast has been announced I will also send out a rehearsal schedule. Please can you let me know which rehearsals you know you won’t be able to attend as close to 11th September as possible please so I can work out the best schedule for everyone. There will be other occasions where things come up, so as always, please let me know as soon as you can if you won’t be able to attend.
We have refreshed our child protection policy this year, and with the change in rehearsal venue we will require 2 chaperones at every rehearsal (12 children per chaperone). This means that we will require parents of children to apply for a chaperone licence and assist us with rehearsals as well as during the shows. Realistically this is likely to be one rehearsal a month if everyone is able to help. We’ll create a rota for chaperoning as well. If you’re in the show we may ask for help when you’re not rehearsing, but during the show week we know you won’t be able to help. Chaperones are a very important part of our productions, ensuring your children are safe and well cared for. If we’re not able to find sufficient chaperones, unfortunately it may result in a cap on the number of children able to take part. If you have any questions on this please let us know, and if you’d like to read our child protection policy, please click here to go to our website.
The membership fees for 2019/2020 are:
- Adults £15
- Children £10
This covers you for insurance for every rehearsal and the show, and helps us to pay for scripts, rehearsal spaces etc as well. We will have membership forms available in September.
We may ask you to provide some basic costume elements (trousers, white shirt etc) depending on the character you will be playing. As always we try and keep it to items we think you’ll have readily available. More complicated things our lovely wardrobe mistress Sarah will create or source.
We will have a few social nights during rehearsals and show week so please keep an eye out for announcements as rehearsals progress.
If you have any questions at all, please email us at email@example.com or using the contact us form and we’ll come back to you as soon as possible. We look forward to seeing you in September!